Thursday, August 19, 2010

Welcome Home



For anyone who hasn't heard, Darrell is home! He wasn't supposed to be home until this week but on Friday, August 6, I received the following email:

Subject: GOOD NEWS BABE!!!!!!!


Daddy is getting me home early! (Jed wanted me to write that) I am on the Advon now so should be home very soon, so that is a great thing! I am not joking, Iasked 1stSgt and everything. He told me I was and I told him that if he is messing with me to tell me now before I told you. He wasn't joking! I know this makes you happy and probably like holy crap, there is so much to do. But please don't jump through any hoops to get stuff done. I will send this out and wait a little bit to get a response from you. I love you babe, and I can't wait to see you.
 
Love,
 
Darrell 


And so the real countdown began. His ETA was anytime between Monday and Wednesday so I really only had the weekend to get things done. There is a lot involved in a homecoming like this and I wanted everything to be perfect. I had started a few minor projects around the house a few weeks prior to receiving the email but I still had a lot to do. And I managed to clean the entire house (including organizing closets and drawers) by Monday afternoon. It was such a relief! But then I had nothing to do with myself. Luckily I have a great friend who kept me distracted with play dates and fun in general. 

The arrival date changed at least 4 times and through another wife we learned that it would probably be Wednesday at around 7 am. There is a hotline with updated arrival information and I called before going to bed and the time had not changed. Then around 11pm their ETA was 4 am. To make a long story short, between 11pm and 12am the time changed 3 times. At 2:00 am I went into Owen's room and gently awakened him. 

I asked "Owen, do you know what we are going to do now?" 

He said "Going to get daddy."

"Yeah buddy, it's time for him to come home."

The conversation was the same with Mason only he was a little more excited. As I buckled Mason into his seat they both began screaming and cheering; I couldn't help but smile but asked them to celebrate quietly because not everyone was awake this early in the morning. And we were off....oh wait, I did have to go back because I forgot shoes for them =)

We arrived at the Battalion about 2:15 and the bus was in sight within 10 minutes, perfect timing! 

It's a difficult feeling to describe; it's the culmination of 7+ months of waiting and wondering...and worrying. But here we were about to welcome him home. Owen didn't want to walk so our friend carried him to where the bus pulled up and when she put him down he broke into a full sprint to jump into Darrell's arms. I stood back a moment with Audra and watched the boys greet him, but when I finally hugged him and gave him a kiss, it felt to me as if he'd never left. 

Audra seemed suspicious of him but it didn't take her very long to warm up.

Everyone stayed awake on the way home and when we arrived we sat down and ate some pizza, the boys played a little bit with daddy and then he tucked them into bed while I put Audra down. 

Words can't express how grateful I feel to have him home and safe. Our family is together again and complete. Here are some pictures from his first day home:


It didn't take her long to warm up to him.



Her kisses are reserved for the most special of people.



So very happy.


Roughhousing.



The aftermath. (Sidenote: tattoo is fake)


Finally resting on his couch in front of his TV.




Thanks to all of my family (namely my mom and Poppi) for supporting me so much during this deployment. Thank you everyone for your prayers and offers to help. I appreciate so much and hope to do the same for other spouses who are in the same situation. Above all, I give thanks to the Lord Jesus for His presence in my life; it was my source of strength. When people ask "I don't know how you do it..." all I can say is I don't know how people do it without having that spiritual connection with the Lord. 






No comments:

Post a Comment